The Perfectionist
Case Study 11: The Perfectionist
When a 94% Mark Was Not Good Enough for a Brilliant Student
One of the most surprising lessons I have learned as a teacher is that high academic achievement does not always mean a student is happy.
Sometimes, the students who appear to have everything under control are carrying the greatest pressure inside them.
I learned this from a brilliant student named Mehedi.
Mehedi was one of the top students in my class. He was intelligent, hardworking, organized, and extremely serious about his studies. His homework was always complete. His notebooks were immaculate. He prepared for examinations weeks in advance and rarely made careless mistakes.
Whenever I announced a test, other students would complain about the difficulty.
Mehedi would simply ask, "Sir, what chapters will be included?"
He wanted to know everything.
He wanted to prepare for everything.
And most importantly, he wanted to be perfect.
For a long time, I considered his attitude a positive quality.
I thought, This is what a successful student looks like.
Then came a mathematics examination.
Mehedi scored 94 percent.
For most students, 94% would have been a reason to celebrate.
For Mehedi, it was a disaster.
I remember returning the answer scripts one afternoon. Students were excitedly comparing their marks. Some were calculating how many marks they needed to improve. Others were already discussing what they would eat after school.
Mehedi quietly looked at his paper.
He saw the number at the top.
A few minutes later, I noticed tears in his eyes.
I walked toward him.
"Mehedi, what's wrong?"
He tried to hide the paper.
"Nothing, Sir."
I sat beside him.
"You got 94. That's an excellent result."
He shook his head.
"I made six mistakes."
I smiled gently.
"Everyone makes mistakes."
"But I shouldn't have."
That sentence stopped me.
He was not upset because he had performed poorly.
He was upset because he had failed to meet his own definition of perfection.
I asked him, "What do you think will happen because you got 94?"
He remained silent for a while.
Then he said, "My parents will ask why I didn't get 100."
Suddenly, I understood that the examination result was only the visible part of a much larger problem.
Mehedi had connected his academic marks with his personal worth.
A 100 meant he was successful.
A 94 meant he had failed.
That belief was beginning to create enormous academic pressure.
At first, I made another mistake.
I tried to reassure him by saying, "Don't worry. You'll get 100 next time."
It sounded encouraging.
But later I realized that I was actually reinforcing the very belief causing his stress.
I was still making the score the goal.
So I changed the conversation.
The next day, I asked Mehedi to bring his mathematics paper.
Instead of looking at the 94, we looked at the six mistakes.
I asked him:
"What did you learn from these mistakes?"
He examined them carefully.
One mistake was a calculation error.
Another came from misunderstanding a question.
The remaining errors were minor slips.
I asked, "If you correct these six mistakes, what will you understand better?"
He thought about it.
"Where I need to be more careful."
"Exactly."
Then I told him something that became an important part of our conversations:
"Your mark tells us what happened in one examination. It does not tell us how valuable or intelligent you are."
I began shifting our classroom discussions away from marks and toward learning.
When students completed assignments, I asked questions such as:
What did you understand today?
What was difficult?
What mistake taught you something?
What would you do differently next time?
Which skill improved?
I also began praising students for persistence, curiosity, improvement, problem-solving, and thoughtful questions—not simply for getting the highest marks.
With Mehedi, I deliberately stopped asking, "What did you score?"
Instead, I asked:
"What did you learn?"
At first, he found the change strange.
He was so accustomed to measuring himself through marks that he didn't immediately know how to answer.
But gradually, his thinking began to change.
During one lesson, he made a mistake while solving a problem on the board.
Previously, I would have seen him become visibly uncomfortable.
This time, he looked at the equation and said:
"Oh, I see where I went wrong."
Then he corrected it.
That was a small moment, but to me it was significant.
He was beginning to see mistakes as information rather than failure.
I also encouraged him to take reasonable breaks while studying. We discussed the importance of sleep, recreation, exercise, friendships, and having interests outside academic achievement.
I wanted him to understand that being a successful student did not mean studying every available minute.
Over the next few months, I noticed a gradual change.
He was still hardworking.
He was still ambitious.
He still wanted excellent marks.
But he was no longer terrified of losing a few marks.
When he received 91% on another test, he didn't cry.
Instead, he came to me and said:
"Sir, I made three mistakes. I know what I need to practice."
I smiled.
"That's a much better result than 100%."
He laughed.
"How can 91 be better than 100, Sir?"
"Because this time, you learned something important."
He understood what I meant.
The greatest change came near the end of the academic year.
Students were preparing for their final examinations. I noticed Mehedi studying with a group of classmates. They were discussing difficult questions, laughing occasionally, and helping one another.
Earlier in the year, he would probably have studied alone because he believed that every minute away from his books was wasted.
Now he was learning collaboratively.
He was beginning to understand that education was not simply a race for marks.
It was a process of growth.
His examination results remained excellent, but his attitude toward those results had changed.
That mattered more to me than the marks themselves.
Looking back, this student taught me an uncomfortable lesson about teaching.
Sometimes teachers unintentionally contribute to unhealthy academic pressure.
When we constantly praise the highest scorer, compare students publicly, celebrate only perfect results, or ask, "Why didn't you get 100?" we may send students the message that achievement is more important than well-being.
Of course, academic achievement matters.
Examinations matter.
Hard work matters.
But students also need to understand that one examination does not define their intelligence, potential, or worth.
A healthy learning environment should encourage students to aim high while also allowing them to make mistakes, learn from failure, and maintain balance.
Mehedi did not need me to lower my expectations.
He needed me to change what those expectations meant.
I still expected him to work hard.
But I wanted his goal to become learning deeply, not never making a mistake.
That distinction transformed him.
Lesson Learned: Learning Is More Important Than Perfect Marks
This real classroom case study taught me that perfectionism in students can turn academic success into academic stress. A student can achieve excellent grades and still struggle with anxiety, fear of failure, and unrealistic expectations.
Teachers can support high-achieving students by emphasizing growth mindset, learning progress, constructive feedback, healthy study habits, and personal development rather than making marks the only measure of success.
Students should be encouraged to aim for excellence without believing that they must be perfect.
A 100% score may show that a student answered every question correctly. But the ability to learn from a mistake may be far more valuable for the student's future.
Comments
Post a Comment