Teaching a Privileged Student
In 2025, I met a student named Arman. He was a boy from a wealthy family in Dhaka. His father was a successful businessman, and his mother was a doctor. Their apartment was full of modern furniture, expensive gadgets, and luxury. But behind all that comfort, there was a painful truth — Arman was academically weak in English.
When I first entered his home as a private teacher, I noticed something unusual. The boy had everything except confidence. He avoided eye contact, spoke very little, and became nervous whenever I asked him to read English. His previous tutors had labeled him “careless” and “lazy.” But I could see that the real problem was different.
Arman lived in an environment where servants did every task for him. His parents were extremely busy. They loved him deeply, but they had little time to sit beside him and listen to his struggles. Most of his communication happened through mobile games, YouTube, and social media. English, to him, was not a language — it was a burden.
On the first day, I did not open any grammar book. Instead, I asked him simple questions.
“What is your favorite football club?”
His eyes suddenly became bright.
“Real Madrid,” he replied softly.
That one answer changed my strategy completely.
I realized that Arman did not hate English; he hated fear. So, instead of forcing him to memorize grammar rules, I connected English with his interests. I brought football magazines, short sports articles, and motivational stories about famous athletes. Every day, we learned five new words related to football. Then we used those words in small conversations.
At first, he made many mistakes.
“I am support Real Madrid,” he once said.
I smiled and replied gently, “Very close. Say — I support Real Madrid.”
I never insulted his mistakes. I celebrated his effort.
Slowly, our classroom became a place of comfort instead of pressure. I introduced a “No Fear Rule.” During the first thirty minutes of class, he could speak English without worrying about grammar corrections. The goal was communication, not perfection.
After two months, something remarkable happened.
One evening, Arman came running to me with excitement.
“Sir! Today I watched an English interview of Cristiano Ronaldo and understood many lines!”
That moment was more valuable than any exam score.
But the biggest challenge was not the student — it was the family environment. His parents measured success only through marks. Whenever Arman got low grades, they compared him with other children. I requested a meeting with them.
I said politely, “Your son is not weak. He is emotionally disconnected from learning. He needs encouragement more than pressure.”
At first, they were surprised. But gradually they understood. I advised them to spend at least twenty minutes daily speaking with him in simple English. I also suggested reducing his screen time and creating a reading habit at home.
Three months later, Arman transformed completely. He started reading short English stories aloud. He participated in school presentations. Most importantly, he no longer feared the language.
In his final exam that year, he scored far better than before. But I still remember something more meaningful than marks.
At the end of our last class before exams, Arman looked at me and said confidently in English,
“Sir, before you came, I thought English was only for intelligent students. Now I think anyone can learn if the teacher understands the student.”
That sentence reminded me why teaching is not merely about completing a syllabus. A true teacher first studies the student’s heart, then teaches the subject.
In Bangladesh, many children from rich families suffer silently behind expensive walls. They have resources, but they often lack guidance, emotional support, and meaningful communication. Education is not built by money alone. It grows through patience, understanding, and human connection.
And that is the lesson Arman taught me as a teacher.
Comments
Post a Comment