The Copying Student
Case Study 12: The Copying Student
One of the most difficult moments for a teacher is not when a student gets a low mark. It is when a student chooses dishonesty to get a high one.
I remember one particular student, whom I will call Sajid. He was an average student—not particularly weak, but certainly not among the top performers. He understood lessons reasonably well, participated occasionally, and usually completed his homework.
Then came the monthly mathematics examination.
As I walked between the rows during the examination, I noticed Sajid repeatedly looking toward the answer script of the student sitting beside him. At first, I thought he was simply looking around because he was nervous. But after watching for a few minutes, I realized what was happening.
He was copying.
I quietly stood beside his desk.
"Sajid, whose answer are you looking at?"
He immediately lowered his eyes.
"No one, sir."
I looked at his paper and then at his classmate's paper.
The similarities were too obvious to ignore.
I took his answer script and asked him to continue the examination separately.
After the examination, I was angry.
My first thought was simple:
"He cheated. He deserves zero."
And that was exactly what I planned to do.
My First Reaction Was Punishment
The next day, I called Sajid to my desk.
"You cheated in the examination. According to the rules, you should receive zero."
He remained silent.
I expected him to apologize.
Instead, he simply said,
"Sir, please don't give me zero."
I replied firmly,
"Why not? You knew the rules."
He looked down.
"I was afraid of failing."
That sentence made me pause.
I knew that fear did not excuse cheating. But I also realized that if I simply gave him zero and sent him back to his seat, I might punish the behavior without understanding the reason behind it.
I had seen this before.
Sometimes students cheat because they are afraid of failing. Sometimes they are afraid of their parents. Sometimes they compare themselves with classmates. Sometimes they believe marks are more important than honesty.
And sometimes, they have simply learned that getting a good result is more important than how they get it.
I decided not to ignore the cheating—but I also decided not to let the incident become only a punishment.
The Conversation That Changed My Approach
Instead of immediately announcing his punishment in front of the class, I asked him to stay after school for a short conversation.
I began with a simple question.
"Sajid, do you think what you did was right?"
He shook his head.
"No, sir."
"Then why did you do it?"
He was silent for a few seconds.
Finally, he said,
"I studied, but I couldn't remember some of the answers. I saw my friend's paper and thought if I copied a little, I could pass."
I asked,
"Which is more important to you—getting 80 marks dishonestly or getting 50 marks honestly?"
He thought for a moment.
"Getting 50 honestly, sir."
"Then why did you choose the other way?"
He didn't have an answer.
That was the moment I realized something important.
Students sometimes know what is right but still need help developing the courage to do what is right.
I explained that cheating was not only a violation of school rules. It was also stealing an opportunity from himself—the opportunity to discover what he actually knew and what he needed to improve.
"If you get 80 by copying," I told him, "I cannot teach you properly because I don't know what you actually understand."
He looked at me.
"I never thought about it that way, sir."
Creating an Honesty Agreement
I still believed there should be a consequence.
I did not want the lesson to become:
"If you explain yourself well enough, the teacher will forgive you."
So we agreed on a fair response.
I recorded the incident according to the school's rules, but instead of making the punishment the entire lesson, I asked Sajid to complete a reflection exercise.
He had to answer three questions:
- Why did I cheat?
- What could I have done instead?
- What will I do if I face the same situation again?
His answers were surprisingly honest.
He wrote:
"I was scared of getting low marks. I could have left the questions unanswered instead of copying. Next time I will accept my result and prepare better."
After discussing his answers, I asked him to create what we called an Honesty Agreement.
It was not a complicated legal document.
It was a personal promise.
He wrote:
"I will complete my examinations using only my own knowledge. If I do not know an answer, I will accept that I need to learn it. I will not exchange my honesty for marks."
He signed it.
I signed it as his teacher.
Then I told him:
"This paper is not important because I signed it. It is important because you did."
Giving Him a Second Chance
I also realized that simply telling Sajid to "study harder" would not solve the problem.
So I helped him identify the areas where he was struggling.
We created a simple study routine:
- 20 minutes of mathematics practice every day
- Review mistakes after each class test
- Ask questions when he did not understand something
- Practice difficult problems without looking at solutions
- Take short self-tests before examinations
I also told him something that I often tell my students:
"A low mark is information, not a permanent identity."
If he scored 40, it meant there were things he needed to learn.
It did not mean he was a failure.
The Next Examination
About a month later, we had another mathematics test.
This time, I deliberately paid attention to Sajid.
There was one difficult question near the end of the paper.
He stared at it for several minutes.
I saw him look around the classroom.
For a moment, I wondered what he would do.
Then he looked back at his own paper.
He left the question unanswered and continued with the others.
After the examination, he came to me.
"Sir, I couldn't solve question number eight."
I smiled.
"That's okay. Now we know what we need to work on."
He smiled too.
"What did you score?" I asked.
"Only 62."
"How much did you copy?"
He laughed.
"Nothing, sir."
That 62 was more valuable to me than a dishonest 90.
What Happened Later
Over the next several months, I noticed a gradual change.
Sajid became more comfortable admitting when he didn't know something.
Previously, he would sometimes pretend to understand a lesson because he didn't want to appear weak.
Now he would raise his hand and say,
"Sir, I don't understand this step."
That was progress.
His marks also improved—not suddenly, but steadily.
More importantly, he developed a different attitude toward examinations.
One day, before an examination, he came to me and said,
"Sir, whatever I get, I will get it myself."
I replied,
"That's exactly what I want."
He eventually became one of those students who reminded his friends not to cheat.
That was something I never expected when I first caught him copying.
What I Learned from My Own Mistake
Looking back, I believe my initial instinct was understandable but incomplete.
Giving him zero would have communicated that cheating has consequences. That message was necessary.
But if I had stopped there, Sajid might have learned only one thing:
"Don't get caught."
Through the reflective discussion, however, he learned something more important:
"Don't cheat."
There is a significant difference between the two.
As teachers, we must maintain classroom rules and academic integrity. We cannot excuse cheating simply because a student is afraid or under pressure.
But discipline should ideally do more than punish.
It should teach.
The goal is not merely to produce students who are afraid of being caught.
The goal is to develop students who can make the right decision even when nobody is watching.
Lesson Learned
Cheating should have consequences, but punishment alone may not change the behavior.
When I combined accountability with reflection, honest conversation, and a clear personal commitment, Sajid began to understand why academic honesty mattered.
His biggest improvement was not his marks.
It was his willingness to say:
"I don't know."
Because once a student is comfortable admitting what they don't know, genuine learning can finally begin.
For me, this became an important lesson in effective classroom management:
Correct the behavior, understand the reason, teach the value, and give the student a responsible path forward.
That approach does not mean being soft on dishonesty.
It means turning a mistake into an opportunity for character development.
Comments
Post a Comment